Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Chapter 48 In Memory of…..

a/n
I thought by now you all would have faith in me that I am not one to prolong anything that I don’t have to….sheesh…shakes her finger at you and says…shame shame!

Everyone thought she would be mad…how can you be mad when you hear Rose tell you that it took three vamps to force him to leave her? My heart would swell with more love…but maybe that’s just me.

WARNING….

THE NEXT COUPLE OF CHAPTERS INVOLVES VIOLENCE.
Our beloved DARKER Edward returns!

Shhhhh……

Chapter 48

In Memory of…..


I could not have imagined everything going any more smoothly. Everything happened with precision and I had to hand it to Tyler. He knew his shit and for humans, they were stealth when they needed to be and on their game when we guided them. Peter was also a huge reason we have been successful thus far.

We had taken out twelve covens of vamps without incident, burned the places down in an intense fire so hot that nothing remains behind to lead anyone to us. Even if Aro did have some of the guard checking out the remains, which we doubted that he was even aware that we were taking down his army one by one, they would never know what happened there and by the time they figured it out, it would be too late.

It was on the thirteenth mission as ironic as that sounds that our perfect record was marred. Since I know that superstitious people dictate that the number thirteen is an unlucky number, I no longer had doubts about it myself because mission thirteen cost me more than I was willing to give.  

Everything was proceeding as planned. We were invading a cabin some place in Russia where it was icy cold with some sort of sleet storm in the middle of fucking nowhere. We knew the one vampire that was gifted here had some power but it was vaguely suggested that it was the ability to disappear from our sight for a brief moment only a moment later to reappear somewhere else. No one had heard of this ability and it was somewhat hard to believe. Alice had suggested that he probably paralyzes us for a brief moment while he moves from one spot to the next and that was the most logical of all the explanations thus far. It did worry some of us but as I said most of us were getting far too comfortable in our surroundings as far as these ambushes were concerned.
Hindsight is definitely twenty/twenty when we never realized Alice wouldn’t see his decision to utilize his gift until it was upon us, and that is exactly what the fucker did, only when he reappeared in Alice’s vision, that is when we saw it.

Sadly...it was too fucking late.

I simply wasn’t fast enough and he was too far from me to stop it in time! No one saw it coming and by the time I made it to Sam’s side he was gasping for air, coughing up blood and I knew as I looked down at him, he would be royally pissed how much he reminded me of a mother fucking pale face as he bled profusely.

“Sam you motherfucker you can’t die on me!” I had bent down and pressed on his wound as I yell at him. Then Brett who was the team’s medic tried to help me stop the bleeding. The fucking vamp ripped out his entire right side of his neck and cut him in the stomach with his nails.

“Come on Sam! Don’t do this!”

“He has lost to much fucking blood!” Brett yells and I feel so fucking helpless knowing there is only one thing I could do.

Sam gasped when I asked him.

“I can bite you Sam but I don’t know if it will work, there is so much blood loss.”

He shook his head no, as he grips my ice cold hand tight and I could see him pleading with his eyes that it is not what he wanted. The moment he managed to take his last breath, he managed to convey his love for her and I knew. I knew he wanted to be with her.

“My love….Emily.”

Was the last word he muttered before his body and his grasp went limp in my hand.

I stared at him and for the first time since I was changed…I knew…I knew now what it is like to feel the heartache of death when it is someone you care for, but when you are vampire your emotions are far more extreme than if you were human.

My body started to shake and my rage consumed me yet again and now that I was fucking livid by what had happened, I  jump to my feet and seek out the motherfucker that killed someone I had grown so close to.

I knew Emmett had a hold of the fucker while he pinned him down watching the scene unfold in front of him just as shocked as everyone around us watches.
I read his thoughts and he was only able to pull this disappearing shit once and it took hours before he could do it again.

I snarl, roar, let the beast out, and gave him free reign.

My body was running full speed right for them, my focus on the vamp pinned underneath Emmett’s hands and foot. Emmett knew instantly to let the fucker go as he steps back with a very satisfied smirk as he removes his foot from the fucker’s chest. Before he could, even attempt to defend himself, my body was on top of him. The beast began to tear into him, ripping him apart, and shredding every piece he ripped off him. The snow around us turning the deepest color of red from both Sam and the vampire I continued to shred. It looked like one of those all cherry snow cones that kids ate from the ice cream truck when I was done with him. His body was everywhere torn in chunks and I heard one of the guys in our group mutter something that he never should have fucking said.

“Fuck…can’t you control that rage shit! Look at this place…how disgusting.”

I snapped on the fucker. His name was Lee and my head snapped in his direction my eyes focus in on him. I flew at him so fast gripping his coat in both fists, knocking the flamethrower out of his hand before he could use it on me. I locked eyes with him letting him get a good glance at what it is like to stare death in the face. His heart literally stuttered two beats; he broke out in a cold sweat and gasps. I pull back my teeth and hiss at him covered in one of my closest friend’s blood hoping to god that he could smell it.

“I just lost someone I cared about you son of a bitch!” His eyes were the size of saucers and he began to apologize but it did not matter. It wouldn’t bring Sam back and Peter gripping onto my shirt and trying to pull me back from the son of a bitch is the only thing that saved his ass. By the time, I got myself under control I went back to Sam looking down at him as I stood over his body and if I could have shed a tear, I fucking would have.

“Sam!!! God damn it!” I roared and took off running through the trees to get away from everyone. When I got close enough to a populated area, I tried to call Isabella but got no signal. I just wanted to hear her voice. God why the fuck of all times is it that I cannot reach her when I need her most?

I sat there in the snow for I don’t know how long, before my brother finally found me and led me back to the scene.
Two hours later we were on our way to Asia while Sam’s body was being flown back to the only family I knew he had which was Sue Clearwater.

When I finally had a moment walking to the back of the plane, I call Isabella knowing that it is one o clock in the morning there but I didn’t care. I just needed to hear her voice. I woke her up in the middle of the night and I was never more glad to hear her voice.

“Bella Angel I am so sorry to wake you baby.”

“Edward!” she gasps.

“Hi baby. God I fucking miss you so fucking much!” I run my hand through my hair and realize I am still covered in blood.

Fuck!

“Please tell me you are coming home.” She pleads and it breaks my heart to tell her.

“No baby, not yet. I am sorry…so fucking sorry.”

“You should know how much longer now right?” she asks.

I smile and tell her “Yeah love I expect to be home the last day of summer.”

“But that’s still a couple more weeks yet!” she whines.

“I know Angel…I know…I fucking love you and I am so sorry.”

“Edward…is something wrong? You sound off, Is everything all right?”

“Bella…something happened tonight.” I had to tell her. I wasn’t going to be keeping anything from her ever again! She should have been able to say goodbye to Sam and it was my fault that she didn’t get that!

God I am so fucking selfish!!

“What? Oh God please tell me that everyone is okay?” I hear the panic in her voice and I know that she liked Sam a lot and that what I was going to say was going to hurt her. I hated knowing that I wasn’t there to tell her in person.

“Baby, it wasn’t something Alice could see and he got to Sam before I could.” I swallow the venom and fight with my anger, shoving it down still fighting it.

“Sam? Oh Edward please tell me he is okay!”

“No Bella, he isn’t okay baby…we lost him…he died a few hours ago baby. I am so fucking sorry!”

“I want you to come home now!” she yells.

“Isabella, I can’t do that. You know this.”

“Bullshit! Edward please…if something happens to you…” I hear her sniffle and I realize she is crying now.

“Isabella, God damn it, don’t you think I want to come home? We have been doing really well and we all knew we would lose some of the team! Sam wanted to be here. He felt our cause was worth it and do you think he would want me to come back and let others worry about what I started?” I am yelling at her now and I have no idea why.
I didn’t deserve her, or her devotion.

“Fuck I am sorry baby.”

“No, you are right…Sam would not want you to quit now.” I hear her quiet sniffles.

“I miss you.” I hear her start to cry harder and my chest is cracking wide open.

“Oh Bella…I know but there is nothing I can do. How are you love, what have you been doing?” I try to change the subject.

“Reading.”

“What are you reading?”

“It is more like research.” She mumbles.

“Oh yeah? What kind?” I press her for something to distract both of us.

“Astronomy.”

I pause for a second and cannot help but smile just a little.

“You are interested in astronomy?”
This was news to me, and I knew that there was still so much to learn about each other we had yet to explore. There was no way she could know how much I love stargazing.

“I am now.” She mutters softly.

“Why now?” I ask curiously and that is when I realize. She has been staying with my mother; of course, they must talk about me.
I cannot help but smile at the thought that she is getting to know the woman who gave me life and I cut her off before she answers my question. “Tell my mother she better not let out any of my childhood’s most embarrassing moments.” I laugh lightly.  

“Oh no Rosalie is doing a fine job at getting those out of both Carlisle and Elizabeth.” I hear her giggle for the first time and my heart aches.

“Oh no.” I groan.

“Oh yeahhhh…” she laughs a little more and I sigh loving the sound of her voice. Imagining her lying in my bed all snuggled up. I want to be with her so bad I can taste it on my tongue!

“So what else have you been doing?” I ask.

“I rode Sapphire today while Embry finally got up on Quil. He insisted he go with me since no one else really can besides Rose and you know she wouldn’t get near a horse.” She laughs.

“You and Embry went horse back riding today together?” I ask.

“Yeah. This time he rode the horse…usually he will just walk along side.”

“Hmm…” I feel a deep rumble begin to roll out of my gut.

“Hmm what?” she asks.

“How far do you go from the house Isabella?” I wait for her reply.

“We take the trail that Sam showed me the first time I rode.”

“Isabella…you need to put off riding until I return, is that understood?” I demand.

“But it gets so boring around here. There isn’t much to do!” she protests.

“This is not up for debate Angel. I need to go, my other line is beeping, and I think it is Sue calling. I will talk to as soon as I can. I love you.”

“I love you too. Send Sue my condolences and I am sorry Edward. I am sorry you lost a friend tonight.”

My heart aches. “Thanks baby. Night.”

I hang up and press the other line. Telling Sue was fucking hard but it had to be done. Once I had given her all the details, she understood that he was on his way home and that I would take care of all the expenses.

I sat here for a moment and wondered exactly what the fuck was Embry doing interacting so close with Isabella? His orders were to keep his distance and just watch her. I get up, walk down the aisle, and lean down to Peter. “I need to talk to you.” I head towards the front of the plane and he sits down next to my seat.

“I want to send Seth back to the ranch and bring Embry here with us.”

Peter just stares at me for a moment.
“Why is there a problem? I thought you trusted Embry more than anyone else.”

“Not anymore.”

“Fine I will put Seth on the first flight out once we land.”

S*h*h*h*h*h*…..

It had been another week and a half that we had successfully taken down five more covens without anything more than a simply injury here or there. The element of surprise worked heavily in our favor and we were headed back for the states. Our first stop was planned to be Hawaii where there was a coven on the island of Maui. We would then work our way east from there taking down the remaining seven covens that were all in the US. After Hawaii, we still had covens in Los Angeles, Texas, New York, Boston, Washington DC, Miami, and Chicago.

We were flying in midair over the ocean between Africa and the states still a few hours away from land when both mine and Peter’s phones let out an alert simultaneously.

This alarm is a distinct tone that we selected just for this reason alone. My head shot up to look at Peter and his expression had to be a mirror to my own.

The room that is located underneath my ranch home that tunnels underground to the mountain, had just been breeched. The room in the mountain was a customized temperature controlled room that housed everything that I had of value outside of the one that was in New York. The majority of my father’s fortune was stored down there, but that is not what had me up and out of my seat yelling at the pilot to change course towards Illinois.  

This alarm was the alarm that alerted me that my Angel was in serious trouble and she had gone downstairs engaged the system and had just now locked herself in that very same room that led to the mountain. Something was fucking wrong and I felt a gasp slip out of my lips when it sunk in.

Peter was frantically dialing Charlotte while I was calling Jasper. Getting no answer, I dial my father’s number and I am pacing the front of the plane like a mad man.

“Come on answer the fucking phone!!!” I growl and realize I have no fucking signal!

“There is no way…no fucking way anyone could know where she was!”

I was yelling at Tyler to order and send in the surrounding guard that I had positioned in different parts of the forest surrounding the house. Each one of these guys had been selected by me to originally protect my family so I had screened them carefully about a year or so ago. I was certain that they were more than adequately paid to protect my family at any cost and they would be rewarded for doing so. I had faith no one would betray that along with the fact that I vowed to take care of their loved ones as well. There was no way anyone had followed me because my gift makes it impossible every time I went there.

“Get one of those son of bitches to call me back and tell me what the fuck is going on!”

I was losing my mother fucking mind and we were still an hour and a half away before we were over dry land.

No comments:

Post a Comment